This Skillet Brownie is the perfect chocolate dessert. The brownie is thick, gooey, and best served with a scoop of ice cream!
If you were to ask me what my dream dessert is this Skillet Brownie would be very close to the top of that list! It is easy to throw together, you probably have all of the ingredients in your pantry right now, and it is crazy delicious.
Why I love this skillet brownie
- You get the best of both worlds. The edges are more firm and the middle is reeeeal gooey. Every one will be happy!
- No waiting! This brownie is best served warm, so no waiting for it to cool so you can cut it.
- It's chocolate. Like, for real, you will never catch me being upset about a chocolate dessert!
Ingredients for Skillet Brownie
- Unsalted Butter. I always make sure to use unsalted butter when baking because there is no “standard” for the amount of salt they can add to butter. So if you add salt to a recipe and then use salted butter you could end up with a very salty end product.
- Brown Sugar. Brown sugar adds a softer texture to the finished product.
- Egg. It will be easier to incorporate the eggs into the batter if they are room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract. Vanilla is a must in baked goods just like salt. Real vanilla adds a better flavor than imitation vanilla.
- All-Purpose Flour. Measuring the flour correctly is very important. I suggest weighing your flour out (I use this scale). If you want to use a measuring cup, make sure you spoon the flour into the cup and level it off with a knife. Don’t use the cup to scoop directly from the flour.
- Cocoa Powder. Be sure to use a good quality cocoa powder. It will make a big difference in the flavor.
- Salt. Salt is a must in baked goods. It will help to balance out the sweetness and improve the overall flavor.
- Chocolate. I prefer semi-sweet chocolate, but you can use whatever you prefer. If you’re wanting puddles of chocolate chop up a chocolate bar instead of using chocolate chips.
How to make a Skillet Brownie
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F). Prepare a 6.5-inch cast-iron skillet by spraying it with non-stick spray or rubbing it down with softened butter. Set aside.
Step 2: In a medium bowl with a hand mixer beat the melted butter and brown sugar until fully combined. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until fully combined and light in color.
Step 3: In a small bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Then whisk until combined and free of any lumps.
Step 4: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are fully mixed.
Step 5: Gently fold the chocolate chips into the mixture. Do not over mix or your brownie will be tough.
Step 6: Transfer the batter to the prepared skillet and spread around evenly. Finally, Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
For serving, I recommend having this Skillet Brownie warm and with ice cream, but I promise you it will be absolutely tasty no matter how you eat it!
More skillet dessert recipes
- Stuffed Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie- This cast iron skillet dessert is a thick chocolate chip cookie stuffed with more chocolate.
- Cookies and Cream Skillet Cookie- A thick and gooey cookie filled with Oreo cookies.
- Gooey Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake Skillet- A delicious Texas chocolate sheet cake in skillet form!
- Skillet Peach Crisp- Tender peaches topped with a sweet crisp.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click a link and buy something.
If you try this recipe leave a review below or tag me on your social media!
Like this post? Visit my Recipe page to see more like it!
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons (133 grams) brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons (45 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (22 grams) cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (127 grams) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray a 5-inch cast-iron skillet with non-stick spray or rub with softened butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix with a hand mixer combine the melted butter and brown sugar. When fully combined add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until fully combined and light in color.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk to combine and remove any lumps.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread around evenly. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from oven and enjoy while warm.
Amazing recipe!! Ellie knocked it out of the park! Looking forward to making this again.
erotik izle says
Muchos Gracias for your blog article. Much thanks again. Winny Giustino Witkin
Sooo good!! I doN’t have cast iron so i made mine in a stoneware dish and it worked perfectly!
Son Dakika Haberler says
thank you very much I doN’t have cast iron so i made mine in a stoneware dish and it worked perfectly!
kamera sistemleri says
THANK YOU VERY MUCH I DON’T HAVE CAST IRON SO I MADE MINE IN A STONEWARE DISH AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY