The love of Chocolate Lava Cakes is universal, right? Like, there cannot be a language where a soft chocolate cake filled with warm chocolate doesn’t sound delicious. Top it with vanilla ice cream, or any kind of ice cream for that matter, and it’s a no brainer. I would call someone a liar to their face if they said they didn’t like Chocolate Lava Cakes. That’s how strongly I feel about it.
What ingredients do I need?
- Unsalted butter
- Large eggs
- Egg yolks
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
Ready to make Chocolate Lava Cakes?
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F). Prepare 4 small ramekins (I got mine from Jefferson Street Ceramics) by spraying them with non-stick spray. Then pour a couple of spoonfuls of granulated sugar into one of the ramekins and spin around until the bottom and sides are coated. Pour the remaining sugar in the next ramekin and continue until all 4 are coated. This will make a crunchy sugar crust on the outside of the Lava Cakes.
Step 2: In a small saucepan combine the chocolate and butter. Place over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool slighlty.
Step 3: In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until the mixture is slightly thickened.
Step 4: Add the cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until thickened. Add flour and mix until combined.
Step 5: Divide the batter evenly between the prepared ramekins. (You can refrigerate the batter at this point and then bake for 15-17 minutes when ready to serve.) If you to bake right away place the ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes or until the outside is set and just the very center is jiggly.
Step 6: Remove from oven and turn the ramekins over onto a plate. The easiest way to do this is to place a ramekin on a potholder in your hand, flip a plate over on top of it and then turn the whole thing over. You might have to lightly shake the ramekin in order to get the cake out.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click a link and buy something.
If you try this recipe leave a review below or tag me on your social media!
Like this post? Visit my Recipe page to see more like it!
Chocolate Lava Cake
- 1 stick (113 grams) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup (113 grams) chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Prepare 4 small ramekins by spraying them with non-stick spray. Pour a couple of spoonfuls of granulated sugar in the sprayed ramekin and roll around so that it coats the bottom and sides. This will create a sugar crust on the lava cake.
- In a small saucepan combine the butter and chocolate. Place over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until slightly thickened. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until thickened. Add the flour and mix until combined.
- Divide the batter up evenly between the prepared ramekins. Place the ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake for 11 minutes or until the outside is set and the very center is jiggly. Note: you can also refrigerate the batter at this point and then bake for 13 minutes when you are ready to serve.
- Remove from oven and carefully flip the ramekins over onto a plate.