This Dog Birthday Cake recipe is made with four ingredients and is perfectly safe for your dog to indulge in! It is such a fun way to celebrate your favorite four-legged friend while still being simple and healthy.
Our dogs, Chipper and Champ, are treated like family. I'm picky about what we feed them, so I made sure that all of the ingredients in this puppy birthday cake were dog-friendly.
If you're here then I assume that you love your pups as much as I love mine and I am so happy to be able to help you spoil them with a fun little treat!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- There are only four simple ingredients, just enough to hold the cake together and make it delicious for your four-legged friends!
- You're avoiding harmful ingredients that might be in a store-bought dog cake.
- It will help celebrate your pup's special day.
- This recipe is so quick to make. You can have it in the oven in less than 10 minutes.
- It is a small portion. Most dog birthday cake recipes are for large cakes, this one is great for any size dog breed.
- The egg will hold the cake together and is a great source of nutrition for dogs.
- Peanut Butter will add flavor to the cake (what dog doesn't love peanut butter?) and provide healthy fat. Find a brand that does not contain xylitol, it is toxic to dogs.
- Apples also add flavor and are a good source of vitamins. Be sure to remove the core and seeds completely.
- If used in moderation and diluted, as it is in this recipe, baking powder is perfectly safe for dogs. It will help the cake to rise, but you are welcome to leave it out if you'd like.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- If you would rather not use apples, substitute them with pear. It is also safe for dogs to eat.
- You can substitute the peanut butter with almond or cashew butter.
- The baking powder can be left out if you don't want to use it, but the finished product will not rise as much and may be a little dense.
This recipe has not been tested with other substitutions or variations. If you replace or add any ingredients, please let us know how it turned out in the comments below!
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: Add the chopped apple to a bowl.
STEP 2: Add the peanut butter, baking powder, and egg.
STEP 3: Mix the ingredients until fully combined.
STEP 4: Pour the batter into a ramekin and bake at 350 degrees (F) for 25-30 minutes.
If you're looking for a human cake to help celebrate your pup's big day I recommend looking at our Lemon Poppy Seed Cake, Devil's Food Sheet Cake, or White Forest Cake!
No, they can't! Dog stomachs are different than humans and a lot of the foods we eat can hurt their stomachs. This dog birthday cake is made especially for your dog's sensitive stomach.
Definitely! There are plenty of dog bakeries that will sell what you are looking for, however, these can be expensive and have a lot of preservatives and undesirable ingredients. This recipe has minimal ingredients and expenses involved.
You can store this dog cake in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
The cake can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
This dog birthday cake can be stored in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to six months.
More Recipes You'll Love
Dog Birthday Cake
For Dog Cake:
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons (50 grams) peanut butter
- ½ apple finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For Dog Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray a ramekin with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekin. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Remove from the ramekin and serve.
- Be sure to remove the stem and seeds completely. They are toxic to dogs.
- You can leave out the baking powder if desired, but the cake will not rise as well and will be a bit dense.
- The provided nutrition information is an estimate for the entire cake, the calorie accuracy is not guaranteed.
I'm so exited my dog loved it for his 8th birthday
Ellie Haley says
This makes me so happy!
My dog mom made this for my BIRTHDAY and it was so good! 🐾
Ellie Haley says
The cake was good but i coild never get the toothpick to come out clean. I ended up having to bake it for 40 min before i gave Up. I followed the directions exactly too. My dog Didnt care though haha. He DEFINITELY finished it.
Used cupcake pan and liners. Came out perfectly. Both dogs enjoyed thanks!
Blitz’s Mama says
My schnauzer gobbled this up! Super easy to make. Thanks for the recipe 🐾❤️
Our mini Aussie and his friend Lily loved this cake! Thank you for posting this yummy dog cake!!!
Brandy S says
My daughter made this today and our dog loved it!
She “iced” it with plain Greek yogurt.
It was a delicious way to celebrate a 1st birthday!
Ellie Haley says
yay! happy birthday to your pup!