Y'all this is literally the best pumpkin cake I have ever had, maybe the best cake ever! This Pumpkin Cake is exactly what the title says: light and fluffy! It is topped with a whipped cream cheese icing and drizzled with caramel sauce. You're going to want to bookmark this one, because you won't be able to just make it once!
What ingredients do I need?
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Pumpkin puree
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Ground Cinnamon
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy whipping cream
- Cold water
Ready to make this Pumpkin Cake?
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray an 8x8 pan (I used this one) with non-stick spray and lay parchment paper in a cross shape in the bottom of the pan. This will make it easy to lift the cake out of the pan when it has cooled.
Step 2: In a large bowl with a hand mixer (I used this one) or in the bowl of a stand mixer beat the sugar and softened butter until light and fluffy. Add the pumpkin puree and beat until fully combined.
Step 3: Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed
Step 4: In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine.
Step 5: Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix until just combined.
Step 6: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Step 7: Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
Step 1: In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Mix until fully combined.
Step 2: In a separate bowl beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Be sure not to over whip the cream.
Step 3: Add about ¼ of the whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture and combine fully. Add the rest of the whipped cream and gently fold until combined.
Step 1: In a medium saucepan (I used this one) combine the sugar and water over medium-high heat. Let cook, without stirring, for about 10 minutes or until the sugar turns a medium amber color.
Step 2: While the sugar cooks warm the heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Be sure not to boil.
Step 3: When the sugar is ready slowly add the heavy cream. Whisk constantly for 2 minutes.
Step 4: Remove from heat and add the butter. Whisk until butter is melted and smooth. Let cool.
Step 1: When the cake has cooled completely gently lift it out of the pan. Spread the frosting (I used this offset spatula) on top of the cake. You might not use all of the frosting.
Step 2: When the caramel has cooled drizzle it on top of the cake.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click a link and buy something.
If you try this recipe leave a review below or tag me on your social media!
Like this post? Visit my Recipe page to see more like it!
For Pumpkin Cake:
- 2 cups (396 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 sticks (226 grams) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ block (4 oz) cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup (99 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (99 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter
For Pumpkin Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray an 8x8 pan with non-stick spray and use parchment paper to make a cross shape. This will help when removing it from the pan.
- In a large bowl beat the sugar and room temperature butter until fully combined and fluffy. Add the pumpkin puree and beat until fully combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl combine the room temperature cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Mix until fully combined.
- In a separate medium bowl whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Be sure not to over whip.
- Add about ¼ of the whipped cream into the cream cheese and mix until completely combined. Add the rest of the whipped cream and gently fold into the cream cheese mixture.
- In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water over medium-high heat. Let cook, without stirring, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture turns a medium amber color.
- While the sugar cooks warm the heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat.
- When the sugar is ready slowly add the heavy cream, whisking constantly for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter. Whisk until melted and smooth. Let cool.
- When the cake has cooled spread the frosting over the cake. You may not use all of the frosting.
- When the caramel sauce has cooled drizzle it over the frosting.
Hannah Mars says
WOW! Seriously so good!!! Everyone who tried this totally raved about it. Easy to make, super soft, moist (sorry for people who hate that word haha), and the perfect pumpkin flavor! The frosting is so light and fluffy, complimenting the flavors perfectly. The caramel is the absolute cherry on top. Cannot stop obsessing over yet another one of Ellie's bomb recipes!!! You are the best!
Tried this recipe and to be honEst, thIs cake wont last in Your home. Its so moIst, flavorful and buttery. Its a melt in your mouth Party with every bite! My husband who for some weird reason hates pumpkin had more than 2 slices in a day! Love it! And the cream frostinG Pairs so PERFECTLY with the pumpkin. Everything in this recipe Belongs tHere! Love it!
Ellie Haley says
Thank you for the kind words! I’m so glad your family enjoyed it as much as my family does!