These Mini Pecan Pies have a flaky homemade pie crust and a classic pecan pie filling. These bite-sized pies are a great addition to any dessert table or a perfect dessert all on their own!
Pecan pie is a staple at most holiday gatherings, at least here in the south! I usually find it hard to finish a full slice because it tends to be overly sweet. These Mini Pecan Pies cut out a lot of that sweetness, partly because there is a much higher crust to filling ratio. Meaning, you get a lot more buttery crust and less sugary filling, making a perfect little bite-sized dessert!
Ingredients for Mini Pecan Pies:
Ingredients for Homemade Pie Crust:
- All-purpose flour. Measuring the flour correctly is very important. I suggest weighing your flour out (I use this scale). If you want to use a measuring cup, make sure you spoon the flour into the cup and level it off with a knife. Don’t use the cup to scoop directly from the flour.
- Salt. Salt is a must in baked goods. It will help to balance out the sweetness and improve the overall flavor.
- Unsalted Butter. I always make sure to use unsalted butter when baking because there is no “standard” for the amount of salt they can add to butter. So if you add salt to a recipe and then use salted butter you could end up with a very salty end product.
- Water. This will bring the homemade pie crust together.
Ingredients for Pecan Pie Filling.
- Light Corn Syrup. This will sweeten and thicken the filling.
- Light Brown Sugar. This will sweet the filling.
- Egg. It will be easier to incorporate the eggs into the batter if they are at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract. Vanilla is a must in baked goods just like salt. Real vanilla adds a better flavor than imitation vanilla.
- Pecans. I recommend using chopped pecans.
How to Make Mini Pecan Pies:
Homemade Pie Crust
STEP 1: In a medium bowl combine the flour and salt.
STEP 2: Add the cold butter. Using clean hands work it into the flour until the texture is like breadcrumbs. There can be a few large chunks left.
STEP 3: Slowly drizzle the cold water a little at a time, working it into the dough. When the dough begins to clump together stop adding water.
STEP 4: Turn the dough out onto a clean and floured surface and bring the dough together until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated. Be sure not to knead the dough or you will have a tough pie crust.
STEP 5: Form the dough into a disc shape and cover. Chill for at least 2 hours.
STEP 6: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F).
STEP 7: Place the dough on a clean and floured surface and begin to roll it out. The dough should be about ⅛ inch thick.
STEP 8: Use a small circle cutter or a clean cup about 2 inches in diameter. Press the dough rounds into a mini muffin pan.
STEP 9: Place the pan in the fridge while you make the filling.
Pecan Pie Filling
STEP 1: In a medium bowl combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Mix until fully combined.
STEP 2: Add the chopped pecans and mix.
STEP 3: Remove the pie dough from the fridge and fill each pie dough shell with about 1 tablespoon of filling.
STEP 4: Bake for 20 minutes or until the filling is set. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan.
STEP 5: Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
More Mini Pie Recipes
- Peach Custard Mini Pies- a flaky pie crust filled with a custard filling and roasted peaches.
- Strawberry Mini Pies- homemade pie crust wrapped around a fresh strawberry filling.
- Mini Apple Pies- classic apple pies in bite-size.
- Mini Nutella Pies- pie crust filled with a light Nutella mousse.
More Pie Recipes from Kitchen 335
- Brownie Pie- a flaky pie crust with a gooey brownie filling.
- Frozen Pink Lemonade Pie- A buttery graham cracker crust with a silky pink lemonade mixture.
- Pumpkin Meringue Pie- homemade pie crust with a classic pumpkin pie filling and a pile of toasted meringue.
- S'mores Hand Pies- flaky pie crust filled with chocolate and topped with toasted marshmallows.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click a link and buy something.
Like this post? Visit my Recipe page to see more like it!
Originally posted November 2019.
Mini Pecan Pies
For Pie Dough:
- 1 ¼ cup (158 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 9 tablespoons (126 grams) unsalted butter chilled and cubed
- ¼ cup ice water
For Pecan Pie Filling:
- ⅓ cup (104 grams) light corn syrup
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon (66 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons (21 grams) unsalted butter melted
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (57 grams) pecans chopped
For Pie Dough:
- In a medium bowl combine the flour and salt.
- Add the cold butter. Using clean hands work it into the flour until it is a coarse texture with a few larger chunks.
- Slowly drizzle the cold water in a little bit at a time, working it into the dough. When the dough begins to clump together stop adding water.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean and floured surface and bring the dough together until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Form the dough into a disc shape and cover. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Place the dough on a clean and floured surface and begin to roll it out. The dough should be about ⅛ of an inch thick.
- Use a small circle cutter about 2 inches in diameter. Press the dough rounds into a mini cupcake pan or into the bottom of a regular cupcake pan.
- Place in the fridge while you make the filling.
- In a medium bowl, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, egg, and vanilla. Mix until fully combined.
- Add the chopped pecans and mix.
- Remove the pie dough from the fridge. Scoop about 1 tablespoon of pecan pie filling into each prepared pie shell.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the filling is set. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
Leave a Reply