Caramel Stuffed Brownies are the epitome of a guilty pleasure dessert. The perfect fudgy brownies stuffed with homemade caramel sauce.
Chocolate and caramel go together like peanut butter and jelly. It is undeniably one of the best flavor combinations out there. I posted the recipe for these Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies and y'all were obsessed. So I knew I had to get back on the chocolate and caramel train, thus Caramel Stuffed Brownies were born.
I made a batch of these and asked my husband to try them. He took a bite and immediately said, "you need to throw those away." It wasn't because they were terrible, it's because they were SO GOOD and he knew he'd keep munching on them if I didn't get them out of our house ASAP. If you're looking for a recipe that will keep you coming back for more, even after you're full, this is the one!
Just when you thought brownies couldn't get any better, these Caramel Stuffed Brownies show up and change the game! This simple twist on fudgy brownies will be the talk of the town.
Ingredients for Caramel Stuffed Brownies
- Unsalted Butter. I always make sure to use unsalted butter when baking because there is no “standard” for the amount of salt they can add to butter. So if you add salt to a recipe and then use salted butter you could end up with a very salty end product.
- Brown Sugar. Brown sugar adds a softer texture to the finished product.
- Eggs. It will be easier to incorporate the eggs into the batter if they are at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract. Vanilla is a must in baked goods just like salt. Real vanilla adds a better flavor than imitation vanilla.
- All-purpose Flour. Measuring the flour correctly is very important. I suggest weighing your flour out (I use this scale). If you want to use a measuring cup, make sure you spoon the flour into the cup and level it off with a knife. Don’t use the cup to scoop directly from the flour.
- Cocoa Powder. This gives the brownies their chocolatey flavor.
- Salt. Salt is a must in baked goods. It will help to balance out the sweetness and improve the overall flavor.
- Chocolate. I prefer semi-sweet chocolate, but you can use whatever you prefer. If you’re wanting puddles of chocolate chop up a chocolate bar instead of using chocolate chips.
- Granulated Sugar. Melted sugar is what creates caramel.
- Water. Water will give us a thinner caramel.
- Heavy cream. This is going to make your caramel nice and creamy. be careful when you add it because the caramel will bubble up!
- Butter. Butter adds to the overall flavor and creaminess of homemade caramel.
How to make Caramel Stuffed Brownies
HOMEMADE CARAMEL SAUCE
Step 1: In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water over medium-high heat. Let cook, without stirring, for about 10 minutes or until the sugar turns a medium amber color.
Step 2: While the sugar cooks warm the heavy cream in the microwave or in a small saucepan. I prefer to use a saucepan for this.
Step 3: When the sugar is ready slowly add the heavy cream. Whisk constantly for 2 minutes.
Step 4: Remove from heat and add the butter. Whisk until butter is melted and smooth. Let cool completely before using.
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray an 8×8 pan with non-stick spray and then lay thick strips of parchment paper across the bottom of the pan in a cross shape.
STEP 2: In a medium bowl mix with a hand mixer combine the melted butter and brown sugar. When fully combined add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until fully combined and light in color.
STEP 3: In a small bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk to combine and remove any lumps.
STEP 4: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
STEP 5: Fold the chocolate into the mixture and pour half of the brownie batter into the prepared baking dish.
STEP 6: Pour the caramel onto the brownie batter. Use a knife to spread around evenly.
STEP 7: Pour the rest of the batter over the caramel. Cover the caramel completely.
STEP 8: Bake the brownies for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
STEP 9: Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing the caramel stuffed brownies from the pan and cutting.
Can I make these brownies ahead of time?
While I think caramel stuffed brownies are best when they are fresh you can definitely make them ahead of time. You can put them in the fridge for a couple of days or in the freezer for a couple of weeks.
Let the brownies thaw out completely and then you can toss them in the oven for a few minutes to warm the caramel up, if desired.
How do I store brownies?
If you are going to be eating these brownies relatively quickly then they are fine to be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you want them to last any longer than a couple of days I recommend storing them in the fridge.
More Brownie Recipes
- Fudgy Brownies- The easiest homemade brownies with the perfect fudgy texture!
- Cheesecake Swirled Brownies- These brownies have a fudgy brownie base swirled with a creamy cheesecake mixture and are drizzled with chocolate ganache.
- Mint Brownies- A brownie base topped with mint buttercream and chocolate ganache.
- White Chocolate Brownies- This spin on classic brownies uses white chocolate.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click a link and buy something.
If you try this recipe leave a review below or tag me on your social media!
Caramel Stuffed Brownies
- ½ cup (99 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter
- 12 tablespoons (170 grams) unsalted butter melted
- 1 ¼ cup (266 grams) brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (90 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (42 grams) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (170 grams) chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water over medium-high heat. Let cook, without stirring, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture turns a medium amber color.
- While the sugar cooks warm the heavy cream in a small saucepan.
- When the sugar is ready slowly add the heavy cream, whisking constantly for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter. Whisk until melted and smooth. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray a 9-inch square pan with non-stick spray and then lay thick strips of parchment paper across the bottom of the pan in a cross shape.
- In a medium bowl mix with a hand mixer combine the melted butter and brown sugar. When fully combined add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until fully combined and light in color.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk to combine and remove any lumps.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour half of the brownie batter into the pan. Pour the caramel over the batter and spread to evenly cover. Pour the rest of the batter on top and cover the caramel.
- Bake the brownies for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
These brownies were amazing! They left me speechless and I recommend making them right now. Fudgy brownies make me happy and the stuffing takes them to another level. You are not gonna regret making this heavenly goOD dessert!
Ellie Haley says
So glad you enjoyed them!
I made this reCipe With my daUghter and My goodness, the brownies were sUblime! Gooey, decadent and pUre joy! I will be makinG these again. Thanks so much, Ellie.
This popped up on my insta feed and looked incredible. I Just so happened to be looking for a substitute rEcipe from scratch that was comparable to the salted caramel Brownies ghiradelli box mix… needless to say, this recipe exceeded my expectatioNs & is absolutely delish!! I did have to bake it for around 40 minutes as i was using a Glass 8x8 pan. Thank you for deVEloping a wonderful recipe!
Ellie Haley says
This made my day! I’m so glad you enjoyed them!
I just made these for my birthday and OMG! So unbelievably gooey and delicious. I at two in a row so had to pack the rest up before they were all devoured in less than 60 seconds, LOL. I'm so glad that I chose them for my birthday treat and will definitely make them again. Thank you for another easy and scrumptious recipe!
Ellie Haley says
Ahhh this makes me so happy!!