Soft Molasses Cookies are made with molasses, cinnamon, ginger, clove, and nutmeg for a soft and chewy texture and a hint of spice. They are the perfect cookie for the holidays.
These Soft Molasses Cookies are a must for me during the holidays. There's just something about the chewy molasses cookie base, the slight spice from the cinnamon, ginger, clove, and nutmeg, and the crunchy sugar on the outside that gets me in the holiday spirit.
Ingredients for Soft Molasses Cookies:
- Unsalted Butter. I always make sure to use unsalted butter when baking because there is no “standard” for the amount of salt they can add to butter. So if you add salt to a recipe and then use salted butter you could end up with a very salty end product.
- Granulated Sugar. This will add sweetness to the molasses cookies.
- Light Brown Sugar. Brown sugar adds a softer texture to the finished product.
- Egg. It will be easier to incorporate the egg if it is at room temperature.
- Molasses. This will help to keep the cookies soft while also adding flavor and color to the cookie dough.
- All-Purpose Flour. Measuring the flour correctly is very important. I suggest weighing your flour out (I use this scale). If you want to use a measuring cup, make sure you spoon the flour into the cup and level it off with a knife. Don’t use the cup to scoop directly from the flour.
- Baking Soda. This will help the cookies to rise.
- Ground Cinnamon. This will add flavor to the cookies.
- Ground Ginger. See above note.
- Ground Nutmeg. See above note.
- Ground Clove. See above note.
- Salt. Salt is a must in baked goods. It will help to balance out the sweetness and improve the overall flavor.
How to make Soft Molasses Cookies:
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees (F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
STEP 2: In a large bowl combine the butter and both sugars. Beat until fully combined.
STEP 3: Add the egg and molasses and mix to combine.
STEP 4: In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, clove, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk to combine.
STEP 5: Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Overmixing will make the cookies tough.
STEP 6: Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough out and roll it into balls. Chill the dough balls for 30 minutes.
STEP 7: Roll the chilled dough balls in the extra sugar and space 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
STEP 8: Bake the molasses cookies for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
More Cookie Recipes
- Buttery Spritz Cookies- buttery, tender, and festive cookies.
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies- Chewy red velvet crinkle cookies sandwiched with cream cheese icing.
- Grinch Cookies- green sugar cookies reminisent of the grinch.
More Cookie Recipes from Kitchen 335
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies- These soft and chewy cookies have tons of flavor from the spices used and are decorated with a sweet and simple icing.
- Snickers Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies- homemade peanut butter cookies stuffed with a mini snickers bars.
- Peanut Butter Blossoms- homemade peanut butter cookies rolled in sugar and topped with a melty Hershey's kiss.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click a link and buy something.
Like this post? Visit my Recipe page to see more like it!
RECIPE ORIGINALLY POSTED DECEMBER 2019. UPDATED DECEMBER 2021
Soft Molasses Cookies
- 1 stick (113 grams) unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ⅓ cup (66 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (53 grams) light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup (113 grams) molasses I used blackstrap
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoons salt
- granulated sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and both sugars. Beat until fully combined.
- Add the egg and molasses and combine.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough out and roll into balls. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the chilled dough balls in the extra sugar and space 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
I baked the soft molasses cookies and they are incredible! I am so so happy with how they turned out. they are so so yummy and approved by the whole family even in a household of chocolate lovers. thank you for the best cookie recipe!!
this recipe is SO BOMB. the dough was so easy to make and the cookies are absolutely delicious! i rolled mine in turbinado sugar to give them a little extra sparkle and texture and they turned out fantastic. highly recommend these for holiday baking 🙂
I just made these. Ellie, these are so good!! Thanks for the recipe!!
I Really ENJOYED making these cookies. Simple rEcipe and it Formed niCely. Both my bOys give it a thumbs up!
SImply amazing! I bakeD these for my neighbour who adores ginger Molasses cookies and she said these were the best - so soft & chewy and melt in your mouth DeLicious. I will make these over and over!
Ellie Haley says
Just made my day! Thank you!