In my last post about cookies (see my Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe) I talked about my unfortunate lack of cookie making skills. I am happy to report that, with much practice, I have graduated from a novice cookie maker to an intermediate cookie maker. We’re all on cloud nine about it over here. Especially my husband, because of these Dairy-Free Oatmeal Cookies.
Hunter LOVES oatmeal cookies. He was outraged when I moved to New York City for 6 months to go to pastry school and didn’t learn how to make oatmeal cookies. He asks me to make them all the time and I always tell him that I’m not good at making cookies. Last week I finally got the nerve to attempt them. Hunter ate his first cookie and looked at me the same way he did on our wedding day. Seriously.
What do I need for Dairy-Free Oatmeal Cookies?
- Plant butter or your favorite butter alternative. If you don’t want to make them dairy-free you can use regular butter
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Quick-cooking oats
Let’s get started!
Step 1: In a medium bowl mix the cold butter and sugar together (I used this hand mixer). Beat for 4 minutes, the butter and brown sugar should be fully combined.
Step 2: Beat in the eggs one at a time until they are fully combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and combine.
Step 3: Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until just combined, over mixing will result in tough cookies. Mix in the quick-cooking oats.
Step 4: Cover the dough and allow it to chill for at least 30 minutes. This will help the dough not to spread quite so much during baking, but you can skip this step if you’re in a hurry or just want to eat cookies ASAP.
Step 6: Roll about 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Use the palm of your hand or a fork to flatten the dough. Repeat with the rest of the cookie dough.
Step 7: Bake the cookies for 8 minutes and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
Note: If you don’t want to make all of the cookies at once you can store it in an airtight container in the freezer. The dough freezes really well. Just let it sit out for 10 minutes or so before rolling and baking.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click a link and buy something.
If you try this recipe leave a review below or tag me on your social media!
Like this post? Visit my Recipe page to see more like it!
Dairy-Free Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 sticks (226 grams) plant butter or regular butter cubed and cold
- 2 cups (426 grams) brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (240 grams) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups (267 grams) quick-cooking oats
- In a medium bowl mix the cold butter and sugar together. Beat for 4 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until fully combined. Add vanilla and combine.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until just combined.
- Mix in the quick-cooking oats.
- Cover the dough and allow it to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Roll about 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Use the palm of your hand or a fork to flatten the dough. Repeat with the rest of the cookie dough.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.