Chocolate Glazed Donuts have a fluffy vanilla baked donut base dipped in a silky chocolate ganache glaze and topped with sprinkles.
Baked donuts are pretty close to the top of the list of recipes I love to make. They are simple and versatile, so you can totally change the flavor without too much extra effort. These Chocolate Glazed Donuts are a classic donut made simple. No frying or yeast involved!
These donuts have a simple, yet delicious, vanilla base. They are topped with a chocolate ganache glaze that brings a richness to the donuts. I wholeheartedly believe that they should be topped off with a healthy amount of sprinkles!
Ingredients for Chocolate Glazed Donuts
Ingredients for Vanilla Baked Donuts:
- All-purpose flour. Measuring the flour correctly is very important. I suggest weighing your flour out (I use this scale). If you want to use a measuring cup, make sure you spoon the flour into the cup and level it off with a knife. Don’t use the cup to scoop directly from the flour.
- Light brown sugar. Brown sugar adds flavor and a softer texture to the final product.
- Salt. Salt is a must in baked goods. It will help to balance out the sweetness and improve the overall flavor.
- Baking powder. Baking powder will help the baked donuts to rise.
- Full-fat sour cream. Sour cream will make the donuts extra moist and fluffy. You can replace it with unflavored yogurt if you'd like.
- Unsalted butter. I always make sure to use unsalted butter when baking because there is no “standard” for the amount of salt they can add to butter. So if you add salt to a recipe and then use salted butter you could end up with a very salty end product.
- Egg. It will be easier to incorporate the eggs into the batter if they are room temperature.
- Vanilla extract. Vanilla is a must in baked goods just like salt. Real vanilla adds a better flavor than imitation vanilla.
Ingredients for chocolate ganache glaze:
- Chocolate. I always use semisweet, but you can use whatever type of chocolate you prefer.
- Heavy cream. Be sure to use heavy cream and not half and half or the ganache will be too thin.
- Sprinkles. I used nonpareils, but any sprinkles will work
How to make Chocolate Glazed Donuts
Vanilla Baked Donuts
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray your donut mold with non-stick spray and set aside.
Step 2: In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, light brown sugar, salt, and baking powder.
Step 3: In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients.
Step 4: Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until they are well combined.
Step 5: Spoon the batter into your molds and fill them up to the top.
Step 6: Place your donuts in the pre-heated oven. They usually take about 15-17 minutes to bake, but I started checking them around 10 minutes to see if the pan needs to be turned. You’ll know they are finished when you lightly press on a donut and it springs back.
Step 7: Remove from the oven and let the baked donuts cool in the molds until cool enough to remove. Then cool the donuts completely before glazing.
Step 1: In a small saucepan heat the heavy cream over low heat until lightly boiling.
Step 2: Remove the pan from heat and add the chocolate chips. Allow to sit for five minutes.
Step 3: Use a whisk to slowly stir the mixture together until everything is melted and fully incorporated.
Step 4: Dip the top of each donut into the ganache. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
Can I make oreo donuts ahead of time?
I wouldn’t recommend it. Donuts are best eaten the same day that they are made.
You can, however, make the batter ahead of time, refrigerate it or freeze it (depending on how far ahead of time you are making the donut batter), and then bake the donuts when you are ready to eat them.
More donut recipes
- Cookies and Cream Baked Donuts- A fluffy donut base filled with crushed Oreos, dipped in a cream cheese glaze and topped with more Oreos.
- Blueberry Baked Donuts- Soft and moist baked donuts filled with blueberries and dipped in a vanilla glaze.
- Old-Fashioned Baked Donuts- Classic baked donuts topped with a vanilla glaze.
- Lemon Sugar Baked Donuts- Fluffy lemon donuts rolled in lemon-zest infused sugar.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click a link and buy something.
If you try this recipe leave a review below or tag me on your social media!
Like this post? Visit my Recipe page to see more like it!
Chocolate Glazed Donuts
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (107 grams) light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup (114 grams) full-fat sour cream
- 2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (113 grams) heavy cream
- ⅓ cup (56 grams) chocolate chips
- sprinkles as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray your donut mold with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, light brown sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients, make sure the melted butter has cooled or it will curdle the sour cream and cook the egg.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until they are well combined. The dough will be much thicker than you think it will be, so don’t be alarmed. Also, be sure not to overmix your dough or your baked donuts will be tough.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into your molds and fill them up to the top. If you’re using a silicone mold, place it on a cookie sheet before you put them in the oven, this will make it easier to get them in and out of the oven.
- Place your donuts in the pre-heated oven. They usually take about 15-17 minutes to bake, but I started checking them around 10 minutes to see if the pan needs to be turned. You’ll know they are finished when you lightly press on a donut and it springs back.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove from pan and allow to cool completely before glazing.
- In a small saucepan heat the heavy cream over medium heat.
- When the cream comes to a light boil turn off the heat and add the chocolate chips. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Use a whisk to slowly stir the ingredients together until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Dip the tops of each donut into the ganache. Add sprinkles, if desired.
I made these for my daughter's birthday and they were fabulous! an excellent recipe for vanilla donuts, highly recommend.
SO easy and so good! i modified the recipe to make them gluten free but the recipe is so simple and quick. had them on the table in about an hour, including cooling. thank you!
These donuts were DELICIOUS. So easy to whip up and finger licking good 😊