Brown Butter Donuts have a fluffy brown butter donut base dipped in a simple vanilla glaze.
One of my favorite things to do when I have a little extra time in the morning is to whip up homemade baked donuts. They are quick enough to not take up my whole morning while still being extremely delicious. They impress every time! These Brown Butter Donuts are one of my favorite variations!
What is brown butter?
Brown butter is unsalted butter that has been cooked down so the water in the butter evaporates and the milk solids in the butter turn brown. It gives the butter a nutty taste and smell. Adding brown butter to dishes in place of regular butter will amp up the flavor.
Brown butter sounds fancy, but it is very simple to make. You will learn how to make brown butter below! If I want to change up a recipe, but don’t want to worry about testing out the recipe changes, I am going to brown the butter. It will totally change the taste of your baked good without changing the way it comes out of the oven.
How to brown butter
For this recipe you will have to brown a small amount of butter. It is very simple, but if you have never done it before it can be a bit daunting.
- First, you will melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. If you have the heat too low it will take a while for the butter to brown. If you have the heat too high the butter might burn.
- After the butter has melted it will start to get foamy and make crackly noises, this is normal. You can stir the butter occasionally, but you don’t need to do it constantly.
- Little brown bits will start to form at the bottom of the pan and the butter will take on a more orange color. It will start smelling nutty.
- Let the butter continue to brown for about a minute, then remove from the heat and allow to cool. This whole process should take about 5 minutes.
What ingredients do I need for donuts?
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Light brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Full-fat sour cream
- Powdered sugar
- Maple extract
Ready to make some homemade baked donuts?
Brown Butter Baked Donuts
Step 1: Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan (I used this one). The butter will start to foam and you will see orangey-brown bits form at the bottom of the pan. This will take about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Remove the pan from heat and allow the butter to cool.
Step 3: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray your donut mold (I use this one) with non-stick spray and set aside.
Step 4: In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, light brown sugar, salt, and baking powder.
Step 5: In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients, make sure the melted butter has cooled or it will curdle the sour cream and cook the egg.
Step 6: Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until they are well combined. The dough will be much thicker than you think it will be, so don’t be alarmed. Also, be sure not to overmix your dough or your donuts will be tough.
Step 7: Next, you will spoon or pipe the batter into your molds and fill them up to the top. If you’re using a silicone mold, place it on a cookie sheet before you put them in the oven, this will make it easier to get them in and out of the oven.
Step 8: Place your donuts in the pre-heated oven. They usually take about 20-25 minutes to bake, but I started checking them around 10 minutes to see if the pan needs to be turned. You’ll know they are finished when you lightly press on a donut and it springs back. Remove from the oven and let cool in the molds until cool enough to remove. Then cool completely before glazing
Step 1: In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients and whisk until free of lumps.
Step 2: The glaze should be pretty thin and runny, so if it is too thick you can add more milk to thin it out.
Step 3: Dip the tops of the donuts in the glaze.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click a link and buy something.
If you try this recipe leave a review below or tag me on your social media!
Like this post? Visit my Recipe page to see more like it!
Brown Butter Baked Donuts
- 2 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (107 grams) light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (114 grams) full-fat sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (57 grams) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. The butter will start to foam and you will see orangey-brown bits form at the bottom of the pan. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray your donut mold with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, light brown sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients together. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan. Bake the donuts into the pre-heated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until they spring back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove from pan and allow to cool completely before glazing.
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients and whisk until free of lumps.
- Add more milk if the glaze is too thick.
- Dip the tops of the donuts in the glaze.