Funfetti Cookie Sandwiches are the perfect dessert to brighten up your day! They are made up of a vanilla sugar cookie packed full of sprinkles, sandwiched with vanilla American buttercream, and rolled in extra sprinkles.
This post is sponsored by Lone Goose Bakery. All opinions are my own.
Lone Goose Bakery Vanilla Extract
Two ingredients that I never bake without are vanilla and salt. I’m pretty sure most bakers would tell you the same thing. Leaving one of these out can really make or break a baked good. Using high-quality vanilla can take your treats to the next level. You can truly taste the difference between using cheap vanilla and high-quality vanilla. My current favorite is this Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract from Lone Goose Bakery. It really takes the flavor of these Funfetti Cookie Sandwiches up a notch!
This vanilla is going to be a staple for all of my holiday baking. It’s the (not so) secret ingredient that will have people asking for your recipe! You can use the code Ellie10 for 10% off of your order. Lone Goose Bakery also has a whole host of high-quality baking ingredients that are quickly becoming staples in my pantry!
What is American buttercream?
American Buttercream is a mixture of butter and powdered sugar. It is much simpler to make than Italian or Swiss Buttercream, but it is also sweeter. American buttercream is known for being more firm than other buttercreams.
Ingredients for funfetti cookie sandwiches
Ingredients for the funfetti cookies:
- Unsalted butter. I always make sure to use unsalted butter when baking because there is no “standard” for the amount of salt they can add to butter. So if you add salt to a recipe and then use salted butter you could end up with a very salty end product.
- Granulated sugar. This is normal sugar
- Eggs. It will be easier to incorporate the eggs into the batter if they are room temperature.
- Vanilla extract. Vanilla is a must in baked goods just like salt. Real vanilla adds a better flavor than imitation vanilla. I highly recommend Lone Goose Bakery’s vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour. Measuring the flour correctly is very important. I suggest weighing your flour out (I use this scale). If you want to use a measuring cup, make sure you spoon the flour into the cup and level it off with a knife. Don’t use the cup to scoop directly from the flour.
- Baking soda. This will help the funetti cookies rise.
- Baking powder. This also helps the cookies rise.
- Salt. Salt is a must in baked goods. It will help to balance out the sweetness and improve the overall flavor.
- Sprinkles. I prefer jimmies sprinkles for these cookies. I used these from Wilton.
Ingredients for American buttercream:
- Unsalted Butter. It needs to be very soft.
- Vanilla Extract.
- Powdered Sugar. Also known as confectioners sugar.
How to make funfetti cookie sandwiches
Step 1: In a stand mixer beat the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.
Step 2: Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat to combine.
Step 3: Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
Step 4: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
Step 5: Fold in the sprinkles. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
Step 6: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet and set aside.
Step 7: Scoop about 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of funfetti cookie dough. Place on prepared baking sheet about 3 inches apart.
Step 8: Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the cookie sheet.
Step 1: Using a stand mixer cream the butter until it is very soft and creamy.
Step 2: Add the salt, vanilla, and half of the powdered sugar. Beat until fully combined.
Step 3: Add the rest of the powdered sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. About 5-6 minutes.
Step 4: If the buttercream is too thick add the heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
Step 1: Pair off your cooled funfetti cookies according to size.
Step 2: Spoon a generous amount of buttercream onto the inside of one cookie. Press the other cookie on top of it.
Step 3: Roll the outside of the cookie in the extra sprinkles.
More funfetti recipes
- Funfetti Blondies– these blondies are packed full of sprinkles for the perfect funfetti dessert!
- Birthday Cake Macarons– These macarons are filled with a birthday cake buttercream and topped with sprinkles.
- Funfetti Cake Batter Cookie Bars– These bars look incredible!
- No Bake Funfetti Lush Dessert– This looks like the perfect no bake dessert!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no extra cost to you, I may earn a commission if you click a link and buy something.
If you try this recipe leave a review below or tag me on your social media!
Like this post? Visit my Recipe page to see more like it!
Funfetti Cookie Sandwiches
- 2 sticks (226 grams) unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (321 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cup (330 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sprinkles
- extra sprinkles for coating
- 2 sticks (226 grams) unsalted butter softened
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups (454 grams) powdered sugar
- heavy cream or milk as needed
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in sprinkles. Chill dough for 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Scoop about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of cookie out and form into a ball. Place on prepared baking sheet about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on the cookie sheet.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until very soft and creamy.
- Add the salt, vanilla, and half of the powdered sugar and beat until fully combined.
- Add the rest of the powdered sugar and beat for 5-6 minutes or until fluffy.
- If the buttercream is too thick add heavy cream or milk, a tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Pair off your cooled cookies according to size.
- Spoon or pipe a generous amount of buttercream onto the inside of one cookie and press the other cookie on top of it.
- Roll the outside of the cookie in the extra sprinkles.